Thursday, March 1, 2012

A Fine Young Man

Once in a great while you come across someone who just makes your heart leap a little, their kindness, friendship and support make your pulse speed up a little thinking the ultimate question: What if...?

Here I mean the type of camaraderie that comes from a new and wonderful friendship, a person whom you can show some of your experience to help guide them forward in their own life. And they in turn, younger and with more energy than these old bones can often muster, excitedly talks about their path ahead.

"I just want to be the best man I can be..." he says, a hopeful tinge to the words - as if uncertain it's possible.

It IS possible, it DOES happen and it WILL happen!!

This much is truth: we often take aim at ourselves as others do to us. The people who should back us up take a reeling stance backwards and we recoil from that almost physical blow). It's happen to a lot of us. Acceptance isn't something you can pick up in a hardware store or a grocery aisle.

So thinking about my own life and direction, this young, sweet gentleman comes along talking about his goals and wishes. He's fully supportive of me, and I of him. He's feeling down and sad because his parents aren't yet seeing what this young man sees. It's the same as the female I see in me. This young man reminds me of a younger me. Caring, sweet and a lover of nature. But whereas I was painfully shy and avoided talking to people, he's talked about going out, cutting their hair and finding that path to their personal journey. It's the same all around us, the whole transgender population. Each of us figuring out things on our own, but there's our friends supporting us and helping us.

This fine young man has a world opening up like a chrysanthemum showing it's beauty. The future is bright and full of hope, this gentleman is excited and eager to start new steps toward his ultimate goals.

 He hopes he has the strength to make it. Men are usually known for strength, vitality and confidence. It's why I didn't make a very good one. But this young man, despite the challenges he knows are there, he holds his head up, dreams of HRT and becoming the man he is, way down inside.

I don't know a lot of FTM's but I have gotten to know two really amazing ones. One just told us "I've got facial hair now!!" and we were all so happy (I'd gladly donate mine lol). This young man, truly sweet, is starting on that journey, a journey that will have ups and downs, but in order to be who we NEED to be, we sometimes have to "fly in the face of convention". His words made me consider my own situation. I was reminded of myself in younger days by reading the words he says, hopeful and excited, charged full of energy. He is like looking at me in younger days, in some aspects. If I could, I would give him that chance, but I can give my support, my friendship, my hugs from afar or close by.

So when he tells me "I just want to be the best man I can be..." all I can say is this:

You already are, sweet young gentleman, you already are!

Hugs!!

No comments:

Post a Comment